ALTERNATE NAMES: Jefferies, Spencer Mills
LOCATION: east side of River Corners Rd. (CR-27); just north of Spencer Mills Rd. (CR-77); back next to the river
CURRENT OWNER: private
SIZE: 0.431 acre
ESTIMATED NUMBER OF BURIALS: ???
EARLIEST KNOWN BURIAL: 1826 – Stephen Harrington
MOST RECENT KNOWN BURIAL: Dec. 26, 1866 – Rutha Harpster
PERMANENT PARCEL #: 036-08B-33-033 (of current property) (Medina County Engineer’s Overhead View)
ORIGINAL LOT #: Section 3, Lot 7 – sublot 23 in Spencer Mills plat subdivision
TOWNSHIP, RANGE: T2N: R17W
Believed to be buried here…
Stephen – died 1826 – per the 1881 Medina County History (pg. 559) “Stephen Harrington was the first person buried in the township. He was buried on a piece of land belonging to Linzey Bennett. This piece of land became a regular burial-ground, and was the first in the township. This first burial was in 1826.” Later in referring to the town of River Corners (pg. 562) it reads “The first schoolhouse was built here, and the first burying ground laid out.” Both references are to the same cemetery; one that almost certainly refers to the River Corners cemetery.
Rutha, wife of Jacob, died Dec. 26, 1866, aged 48ys 2ms 20ds – her stone is found across the street on the Hange property.
Elizabeth, wife of John, died Jan. 23, 1853, AE. 67yrs – her stone is also found across the street on Hange property.