LOCATION: north side of Bellus Rd. (CR-140); west of Ridge Rd. (SR-94); on the property at 1705 Bellus Rd.
CURRENT OWNER: Heirs of those buried there
SIZE: 0.2 acres (32/160 of an acre)*
ROWS: unknown given condition of cemetery
ESTIMATED NUMBER OF BURIALS: 14+
EARLIEST KNOWN BURIAL: June 27, 1842 – George Babcock
MOST RECENT KNOWN BURIAL: August 24, 1869 – Ida E. Brown
GPS: N 41° 13’ 47.1”; W 81° 44’ 46.0”
PERMANENT PARCEL #: 016-03C-10-008*
ORIGINAL LOT #: Lot 64
TOWNSHIP, RANGE: T4N: R13W
* – this is the size of the cemetery as described in the deed. The cemetery’s boundaries were laid out but for some reason never made it into the tax map records as a separate land entity. The permanent parcel number given is for the surrounding property lot which is combined with the cemetery property in tax map records.
VETERANS BURIED IN BROWN CEMETERY:
A QUESTION OF OWNERSHIP:
Volume 18, Page 172 of the Medina County Deed Record shows that 32/160 of an acre was deeded by Stephen C. Oviatt and his wife Jerusha to their heirs for use as a cemetery. The deed was dated October 15, 1863. Unfortunately, over time the cemetery was neglected from mention in deed transfers for the surrounding property and the current owner believes that the cemetery is part of his property. A descendent of those mentioned in the deed would have to come forward to reassert their legal claim to the cemetery. Until then, access to the cemetery is extremely limited and it sits in disrepair.